Jamaica Passports - What's needed to enter Jamaica?

Please pay close attention to what the entry requirements are, (if you are a U.S Citizen, Canadian, etc.) for Jamaica. They recently changed in 2008 and I would hate for someone to get to the airport without the proper documentation.


Tourist Travel

* Valid Passport Required. Must be valid at least 6 months on date of entry * Tickets and Documents for return or onward travel * No visa required for stay up to six months * Vaccinations - None Required

Business Travel

* U.S. Passport, valid at least 6 months on date of entry * Tickets and Documents for return or onward travel * No visa required for stay of up to 30 days (for Sales/Negotiations/Marketing) * Vaccinations - None Required

Diplomatic/Official Travel

* U.S. Passport, must be valid 3 months beyond intended stay * Tickets and Documents for return or onward travel * No Visa Required for stay up to 30 days * Vaccinations - None Required

Employment or Study Travel

* Contact the nearest Embassy or Consulate

I received this information on 11/1/2008 from the company TDS that I used to use when I was a travel agent for all my clients passport and visa information. It is very much a trusted site.

If you don't find the information you are looking for here, please go to your governments website for the latest information.

For Canadian Residents visit http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en.asp?country=138000

If you already have a passport take a few minutes to pull it out and make sure it hasn't expired. And if you have recently changed your name you will need to make sure your passport matches the name on your airline ticket.

If you do need to get a passport make sure to leave as much time as possible. Processing for a passport can take at least 3 weeks unless things are backed up. You can pay extra to process your passport faster, but those last minute fees can add up.


Tourist visas are not required for U.S. Citizens stay up to 6 months. For business travel make sure to check your government website for more detailed information.

Traveling with Kids

If you are divorced and traveling with your kids you might be stopped in customs and asked for a letter of consent to be traveling with the children.

These days customs are getting more strict due to possible child abductions.

In Jamaica there is currently no requirement to have a letter of consent however it is recommended just in case.

It is possible you could be stopped in customs and detained while trying to contact the other parent to verify if you are allowed to be traveling with your children out of the country.

So...just to be on the safe side it is recommended that you get a notarized letter of consent from the legal parent of your children, saying that it's OK for you to be taking the children out of the country.

For more information call: 1-888-407-4747 and select option #2.

Don't forget...check to see what items you are allowed to take through customs and duty free items that are allowed when entering Jamaica.

Back to top of Jamaica Passports
Back to Jamaica Planning Guide Home